Preschool fingerplays encourage children to participate verbally, follow directions, learn number concepts, and follow directions. I keep a notebook of all our favorite fingerplays and songs that I can pull out at any given time. (This is especially helpful when we need to calm the children down.) I also have props to many of the fingerplays that I keep in a basket nearby.
While we love so many different fingerplays, I thought I’d share 5 of our favorites. I’m including various activities that you can do with each one as well. I hope you and your children enjoy these as much as we do!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
Favorite Preschool Fingerplays
Five Little Speckled Frogs
- Download the Five Little Speckled Frogs song.
- Download the PDF printable here.
- See how we used frog puppets here.
- Make a fun craft for this finger play using egg cartons, from Rainy Day Mum.
- Set up a small world activity, from The Imagination Tree.
- Download the sheet music, from Let’s Play Music.
- Do you use pocket charts? Here’s a free pocket chart download from Pre-Kinders.
Way Up High In the Apple Tree
- Download Way Up High in the Apple Tree song.
- Put together a flannel board activity for circle time, from Teach Preschool.
- Get the children together and make applesauce.
- Make some spin art apples.
- Put together an apple sensory bin.
Five Little Ducks
- Download the Five Little Ducks song.
- Download the ducks for each child to use, from Picklebums.
- Create a 5 Little Ducks water table, from The Imagination Tree.
- Make this playset, from Inner Child Fun.
- Invite the children to count ducks, from It’s a Long Story.
Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Download the Itsy Bitsy Spider song.
- Make a spider snack (with free printable!).
- Make a spin art spider.
- Make a spider finger puppet to go along with the song, from Lalymom.
- Strengthen fingers by putting the legs back on the spider, from Miss Mancy’s Blog.
- Add spiders to your sensory table, from Teach Preschool.
- Make an Itsy Bitsy Spider prop, from Red Ted Art.
Five Little Monkeys
- Download the Five Little Monkeys song.
- Download this free monkey puppet printable from Let’s Play Music.
- Make a monkey face, from Learn, Create, Love.
- Create a monkey snack, from Diapers to Diplomas
- Learn how to sign it, from Cullen’s ABCs.
The Wheels on the Bus
- Download The Wheels on the Bus song.
- Put together this bus snack, by Juggling with Kids.
- Make a cool bus, by No Time for Flashcards.
- Get cooking with some sweet and savory wheels, from Rainy Day Mum.
- Try these theme ideas, from PreKinders.
What are your children’s favorite fingerplays? Pop on over to my Facebook page and let us know!
More ideas for young children:
Join over 16,000 parents & educators receiving helpful tips, activities and resources!