Reciting our favorite preschool fingerplays is an important part of our curriculum. We not only perform them during circle time, but we use them during transitions throughout the day. Preschool fingerplays encourage children to participate verbally, follow directions, learn number concepts, and follow directions. I keep a notebook of all our favorite fingerplays and songs that I can pull out at any given time. (This is especially helpful when we need to calm the children down.) I also have props to many of the fingerplays that I keep in a basket nearby. While we love so many different fingerplays, I thought I’d share 5 of our favorites. I’m including various activities that you can do with each one as well. I hope you and your children enjoy these as much as we do!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. This means that if you make a purchase, a small percentage of it goes towards maintaining this blog. Thank you for your support!
Five Little Speckled Frogs
- Download the Five Little Speckled Frogs song.
- Download the PDF printable here.
- See how we used frog puppets here.
- Make a fun craft for this finger play using egg cartons, from Rainy Day Mum.
- Set up a small world activity, from The Imagination Tree.
- Download the sheet music, from Let’s Play Music.
- Do you use pocket charts? Here’s a free pocket chart download from Pre-Kinders.
Way Up High In the Apple Tree
- Download Way Up High in the Apple Tree song.
- Put together a flannel board activity for circle time, from Teach Preschool.
- Get the children together and make applesauce.
- Make some spin art apples.
- Put together an apple sensory bin.
Five Little Ducks
- Download the Five Little Ducks song.
- Download the ducks for each child to use, from Picklebums.
- Create a 5 Little Ducks water table, from The Imagination Tree.
- Make this playset, from Inner Child Fun.
- Invite the children to count ducks, from It’s a Long Story.
Itsy Bitsy Spider
- Download the Itsy Bitsy Spider song.
- Make a spider finger puppet to go along with the song, from Lalymom.
- Strengthen fingers by putting the legs back on the spider, from Miss Nancy’s Blog.
- Add spiders to your sensory table, from Teach Preschool.
- Make spiders with cream cheese and crackers.
- Make an Itsy Bitsy Spider prop, from Red Ted Art.
Five Little Monkeys
- Download the Five Little Monkeys song.
- Download this free monkey puppet printable from Let’s Play Music.
- Make a monkey face, from Learn, Create, Love.
- Create a monkey snack, from Diapers to Diplomas
- Learn how to sign it, from Cullen’s ABCs.
The Wheels on the Bus
- Download The Wheels on the Bus song.
- Put together thisWheels on the Bus snack, by Reading Confetti.
- Make a cool bus, by No Time for Flashcards.
- Get cooking with some sweet and savory wheels, from Rainy Day Mum.
- Try these theme ideas, from PreKinders.
What are your children’s favorite fingerplays? Pop on over to my Facebook page and let us know!
Are you getting my weekly newsletters? They are delivered right to your e-mail!
Sign up here.