Inside: Add some simple math to your preschooler’s day with this Valentine’s counting activity! Also promotes color recognition as the hearts are sorted. Free printable included!
We love simple activities that build skills! This Valentine’s counting and color sorting activity is perfect for small groups or independent work.
It can be done in the classroom setting or in the home.
All you need to do is download the free printable that is shown at the end of this post (scroll down), add objects that are the same colors, and it’s ready to go! You will see how I also turned this into a counting activity by creating a number line, and also an easy art activity.
No time to read this? Pin and save for later!
Valentine’s Counting Activity with Free Printable
What you will need:
- Foam hearts (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple) or any desired shapes
- White glue
- Paper plate or other paper, cut into a heart shape
- Colored hearts printable (offered at the end of this post)
- Number line 1-6, written in the same colors as the hearts
Color matching activity:
Place at least 5 of each color of the foam hearts into a container, mixed up. Invite the children to remove the hearts from the container and sort them by color. Then place the hearts on the matching color on the printable.
Once again, mix all the hearts together so that the children need to sort them by color. Have them place one foam heart on the matching paper heart.
Counting the hearts:
For this activity, I drew a simple number line by hand, using the same 6 colors as the hearts. I invited the children to place one heart on each number, making sure the foam heart and the number were the same color.
You could extend this so that they place 1 heart under the number 1, 2 hearts under the number 2, etc.
With the hearts still on the number line, squeeze 6 puddles of glue on a piece of heart-shaped paper. The children can then remove each heart from the number line and place on the glue. (1:1 correspondence)
Click on the photo below to get your pdf download:
Here are other fun Valentines activities to try:
- 17 Skill Building Preschool Valentine’s Activities
- Giant Collection of Preschool Valentine’s Activities
- Valentine’s Crafts for Toddlers
And make sure to pop over to our Valentine’s Day pin board!
Join us in having a kind classroom!
Valentine’s Day Theme Preschool Lesson Plans
Learn about love and kindness with your preschoolers in this engaging Valentine’s Day theme lesson plan set with ideas for reading, math, science & more.
This lesson plan set also includes:
1) Chocolate Taste Test (in color and b/w)
2) Heart Counting Mats 1-20
3) “I Love” Emergent Reader (2 versions)
4) Valentine Upper and Lowercase ABC Match (in color and b/w)
5) Valentine’s Day Dice Game (in color and b/w)
6) Valentine’s Day Letter Puzzles (in color and b/w)
7) 0-35 Valentine’s Day Number Cards (in color and b/w)
8) Valentine Roll and Graph Math Game (in color and b/w)
9) Printable Valentine Writing Papers
CLICK HERE for more information!