Inside: This collection of 20 Preschool Dinosaur Activities contains sensory, art, and large motor activities for your classroom. Includes a free printable activity download!
Dinosaurs are a topic that gets talked about a lot in our classroom.
With over 700 different species of dinosaurs discovered, there’s a lot to teach about!
These preschool dinosaur activities will add some dino-themed fun to your classroom while you discuss paleontological facts, such as which dinosaurs ate meat and which only ate plants.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list to download your free color matching activity!
20 Preschool Dinosaur Activities
- Frozen Dino Egg Excavation – Freeze small toy dinosaurs inside water balloons to create frozen eggs for preschoolers to melt with water. (Little Bins for Little Hands)
- Fossil Dough – Make your own fossil dough with coffee grounds and flour for a unique fossil texture. (Nuttin’ But Preschool)
- Painting with Dinosaurs – Preschoolers will dip the feet of plastic dinosaurs into paint and create tracks across the paper. (Clare’s Little Tots)
- Paper Plate Brontosaurus – Cut a paper plate in half to decorate with paint and create a paper dinosaur. (Bored Art)
- Kinetic Sand Eggs – Fill a sensory bin with kinetic sand and plastic easter eggs for toddlers to mold into dinosaur eggs. (Fun Learning for Kids)
- Build a Dinosaur Skeleton – Save paper towel tubes and toilet paper tubes for preschoolers to build their own dino skeletons. (123 Homeschool 4 Me)
- Playdough Pasta Fossils – Provide various types of dry pasta at the playdough table to press into the playdough to make dinosaur shapes. (PreKinders)
- Tissue Box Dino Feet – For dramatic play fun, create dinosaur feet out of tissue boxes for toddlers to stomp around in. (Rainy Day Mum)
- Magnetic Tile Dinosaurs – Trace magnetic blocks into shapes of dinosaurs for preschoolers to match the correct shapes into. (Happy Toddler Playtime)
- Dino Yoga – For a large motor activity, lead preschoolers in these dinosaur-themed yoga poses. (Kids Yoga Stories)
- Erupting Volcano Art – Preschoolers will blow around a small blob of red paint with a straw to create an erupting volcano. (Our Little Acorns)
- Picture Matching – Cut pictures of dinosaurs in half and preschoolers will match together the correct halves. (Powerful Mothering)
- Life Size Footprint – Cut a life-size dinosaur footprint out of construction paper and place it on the ground for preschoolers to compare to their own foot size. (The Many Little Joys)
- Dramatic Play Paleontologist – Set up a dramatic play tent full of pretend fossils and small brushes to act out the jobs of a paleontologist. (SparkleBox)
- Lava Slime – Create your own lava slime using glue, liquid starch, and food coloring for a sensory experience. (Our Little Acorns)
- Dinosaur Measuring – For a counting activity, provide small connectable blocks for preschoolers to measure how many blocks tall their toy dinosaurs are. (Pocket of Preschool)
- Footprint Hopscotch – Cut out and tape, or draw with chalk, dinosaur footprints for toddlers to jump on and match the direction of the footprints. (Raising Dragons)
- Dino Hunt – Hide plastic dinosaurs around a designated area and take your preschoolers on a scavenger hunt to search for them. (Glitter On a Dime)
- Circle Time Songs – Sing and dance to this collection of dinosaur-themed songs during your circle time. (PreKinders)
- Playdough Volcanoes – In a similar style to this activity, provide small plastic bottles for toddlers to cover in brown playdough to create a volcano shape at the playdough table. (Still Playing School)
More science activities:
Free Dinosaur Egg Color Matching Printable Activity
Click the photo below to download the pdf file:
Preschool Dinosaur Lesson Plans
- Recommended Book List
- 1-Page Weekly Lesson Plan Grid with Activity Ideas for Whole Group, Literacy, Math, and Science each day
- Alternate Editable Weekly Grids for 4-day, 3-day, and 2-day programs
- 5 Daily Lesson Plan Sheets with Activity Directions and Materials List
- 2-Page Center Descriptions
- Related Printables
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.