Inside: Butterflies are a perfect topic for the spring time. These 15 butterfly activities incorporate a fun mixture of science and art.
During the spring time, thousands of butterflies emerge from their cocoons and begin to migrate together towards the west.
If you’ve never seen footage of this, I suggest that you look it up sometime- it’s quite unique!
Every year, our classroom orders caterpillars of our own so that we can watch them create their cocoons and hatch into gorgeous butterflies.
Releasing them into the world is always so exciting for our preschoolers!
Because of this, butterfly activities are perfect to incorporate into our classroom.
These 15 butterfly activities are a great way for toddlers to learn about the unique butterfly life cycle and can be added to the butterfly theme.
15+ Spring Butterfly Activities
- Marble Painted Butterflies – Roll marbles around in paint with paper for a fun way to decorate these butterflies.
- Butterfly Feeder – For a fun science activities, toddlers will put together these butterfly feeders featuring ripe fruit to attract butterflies.
- Big Beautiful Butterflies – This fun activity can involve a group of preschoolers and makes an beautiful classroom display!
- Paper Plate Life Cycle – Create a visual representation of the four stages of a butterfly’s life using a paper plate and various craft supplies. (Homeschool Preschool)
- Butterfly Shaped Sponge – Use a rubber band to tie around the center of a sponge, turning into a butterfly-shaped stamp for artwork. (Confidence Meets Parenting)
- Life Cycle Sensory Bottles – Use dyed pasta in four sensory bottles to symbolize the different life cycle stages of a butterfly for hands-on exploration. (Fun-a-Day)
- Caterpillar Egg Counting – Toddlers will use tongs to transfer pom-poms onto the printable leaf mats to match the written number. (Fantastic Fun and Learning)
- Felt Build-a-Bug – Cut shapes out of felt for toddlers to build their own caterpillars and butterflies on the felt board. (Teach Me Mommy)
- Matching Game – Mix up these cards for preschoolers to match together, allowing them to see how different each and every butterfly can be in color and design. (PreKinders)
- DIY Wings – Use large pieces of paper and paint to create wearable butterfly wings, folding the paper in half so that the pattern mirrors on both sides. (Mille Idee al Nido)
- Flower Number Line – Preschoolers will roll the dice and count to the correct flower to place their butterfly on for a fun math game. (Fun Learning for Kids)
- Caterpillar to Butterfly – Use a paper towel tube to symbolize the chrysalis and push the butterfly out to ‘transform’. (Mama Smiles)
- Butterfly Songs – These themed butterfly songs set to familiar tunes are perfect for singing during circle time. (Coffee Cups and Crayons)
- Caterpillar Stamping – Use corks and various colors of paint to stamp cute little caterpillars onto paper. (Sight and Sound Reading)
- Butterfly Snacks – Add some themed fun to snack time with butterfly-shaped sandwiches and fruit arrangements. (Mrs. Plemons’ Kindergarten)
- Life Cycle Printable – Use these free printable images of the butterfly life cycle to arrange into the appropriate order. (Trillium Montessori)
More activities about bugs:
Planning your bugs and butterfly theme? We’ve done the work for you!
I am so excited to be a co-author of these bugs & butterflies theme lesson plans.
24 preschool learning activities for your bugs & butterflies theme, including literacy, math, science, art, fine motor, and more! A great resource for teachers and homeschoolers.
24 preschool learning activities that cover:
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.