Inside: We’ve found the best collection of toddler and preschool color mixing activities. Each idea invites young children to explore using a variety of methods!
And what’s awesome is that there are so many fun, hands-on activities out there!
When I put together this collection of toddler and preschool color mixing activities, I wanted a variety of ideas.
After some careful research, I found some creative ways young children can explore mixing colors.
Check out this fun collection!
Make sure to scroll down towards the bottom of this page for 2 free color sorting printables…
Toddler and Preschool Color Mixing Activities
- Salad Spinner: One of our favorite process art activities with lots of action!
- Toy Cars: Make rainbow roads by driving cars through puddles of paint.
- Plastic Bags: This no-mess color mixing activity is sensory fun!
- Paper Tubes: Stamp 2 colors to make a 3rd color and strengthen fine motor skills, too.
- Rainbow Crayons: Add some science to your color mixing while making crayons.
- Paper Towels: Drip different colors on top of each other.
- Vertical Surface: Drop assorted colors of watercolors at the top of a vertical surface and watch them mix.
- Plastic Cups: Make your own color mixing fountain. (A Little Pinch of Perfect)
- Playdough: Explore mixing red, yellow, and blue playdough. (Homegrown Friends)
- Skittles (yes, the candy!): Watch what happens to the colors when water is added. (Pre-Kinders)
- Shaving Cream: Another fun baggie activity that also allows children to watch colors mix. (Best Toys 4 Toddlers)
- Q-Tips: Mix magenta, yellow, and cyan tempera paint, inspired by the book Mix it Up. (Gift of Curiosity)
- Paper Plates: This action art requires lots of twisting to make new colors. (Buggy and Buddy)
- Ice Cubes: Super simple to set up, and a great way to watch colors mix. (FSPTD)
- Bottles: These sensory bottles are so fun to watch! (Preschool Inspirations)
Free Color Printables
Click on the link below to get the pdf download:
Planning your colors theme? We’ve done the work for you!
I am so excited to be a co-author of these color theme lesson plans.
24 preschool learning activities for your colors theme, including literacy, math, science, art, fine motor, and more! A great resource for teachers and homeschoolers.
24 preschool learning activities that cover
- Fine Motor
- Gross Motor
- Social Studies
- Circle Time
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.