The gingerbread theme is one of my favorites, and our toddlers and preschoolers love all the activities provided. After reading several versions of The Gingerbread Man/Boy/Girl, we put together several gingerbread dramatic play ideas in our classroom. During the same time, we create gingerbread art activities, use gingerbread mats at the playdough table, and provide gingerbread matching games for the children to enjoy. Here is a collection of gingerbread theme ideas for toddlers and preschoolers. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
Gingerbread Dramatic Play
Each year we seem to find more gingerbread items to add to our dramatic play area. This year my co-teacher’s mother found these stuffed gingerbread people at Goodwill. They were adored by our toddlers and preschoolers! They carried them on trays to serve to all their classmates. Oh, and to their teachers, too.
We also added our Christmas slice and bake cookies that I found on Amazon last year. (Seriously, this is worth every penny. It is loved THAT much. And it doesn’t have to be limited to Christmas. Kids would have fun with it year round!)
Manners were practiced as the children asked if we wanted a gingerbread cookie.
Language skills were strengthened as the children role-played.
Gingerbread Theme Ideas for Toddlers and Preschoolers
And now, here is my favorite collection of gingerbread theme ideas. If you have gingerbread theme posts, please share the link in the comments section!
- Brighten your classroom with gingerbread people sun catchers. They can be hung on a tree or in the window.
- Create a scented gingerbread boy sensory bin. Our preschoolers loved it!
- Mix together some gingerbread dough and make ornaments.
- Strengthen those fingers with a gingerbread salt tray.
- Put together a fun sensory art experience with gingerbread puffy paint.
- Work on simple math skills by downloading free gingerbread number puzzles.
- Looking for gingerbread templates for various activities? Here you go!
- Download and laminate these gingerbread printables and add to your dramatic play area.
- Take the kids on a gingerbread letter hunt (free printable).
- Add literacy to your gingerbread theme making your own gingerbread man books.
- This gingerbread busy bag works on simple counting skills.
- Get those little bodies moving while playing the gingerbread number hop game.
- Make your own upcycle gingerbread house using small milk cartons.
Make sure to follow our Christmas pin board for lots more toddler and preschool activities!
53 pages of fun, hands-on gingerbread literacy activities for preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten.
Lots more information here: Gingerbread Literacy Activities
Join over 16,000 parents & educators receiving helpful tips, activities and resources!