Inside: Add some snowy fun to your winter dramatic play area, from ice skating to a snowy winter cabin. Fun playful ideas for toddlers and preschoolers!
The silver lining of winter is the ability to get very cozy, whether in front of a fireplace or in a snowy cabin.
Recreating these snug settings in your dramatic play area adds a little bit of winter coziness to your classroom.
It can be difficult to think of winter theme ideas for the time between Christmas and Valentine’s Day, but these ten dramatic play ideas will be sure to inspire you to add some snowy fun to your learning!
Bonus! Scroll down towards bottom of post to find our free hot cocoa dramatic play printable packet!
10 Creative Winter Dramatic Play Ideas
- Hot Cocoa Stand (Free Printable) – Print out this collection of signs to create your own hot cocoa stands, using cotton balls as marshmallows.
- Hibernating Bear Den – Create a bear den out of construction paper to learn about how various animals hibernate during the winter.
- Igloo Tent – Decorate a tent to look like it’s made out of snow, adding in a pretend campfire and poles for ice fishing. (JufBianca)
- Snow Shoveling – Provide small plastic snow shovels with crumbled up white tissue paper to be the “snow” to shovel up. (Mrs. Plemons’ Kindergarten)
- Weather Station – Provide meteorologist props such as weather maps, clipboards, and pretend laptops for preschoolers to track snowstorms. (Early Learning Ideas)
- Ice Skating – Lay a white rug or laminated paper on the ground to be an ice rink, adding in a concessions stand for extra fun. (Lovely Commotion)
- Build a Snowman – Wrap boxes in white construction paper to serve as the pieces of a snowman for preschoolers to build with. (Simple Home Blessings)
- Snowy Cabin – Roll up pieces of brown construction paper to look like logs of a snowy cabin exterior. (LC SLP)
- Hanging Mittens – Provide mittens and other winter wear to hang with clips onto a clothesline. (Teach Preschool)
- Cozy Fireplace Kitchen – Add a cozy pretend fireplace to your dramatic play kitchen, perhaps with some chairs to sit in front of the warm fire. (Snips, Snails and Kindergarten Tales)
More Dramatic Play Ideas:
Free Hot Cocoa Dramatic Play Printable Packet
Click on the photo below to get your free pdf download:
Toddler and Preschool Winter Lesson Plans
We’ve done the work for you! We now have interactive thematic lesson plans for toddlers (16-35 months) AND preschoolers (3-5 years)!
Get ready for fun and learning with unit lesson plans for winter.
Explore a variety of themed hands-on activities!
Easy to follow lesson plans include activity modifications and adaptations to meet the needs of all learners.
For more information, click on the graphics below:
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.