Making a necklace is a great fine motor rainbow threading activity for preschoolers. Each year we do some version of this, such as last year when we made a necklace with cut straws. I did this particular activity during small groups. I showed them a picture of a rainbow and they sorted the colored macaroni so that they had one of each color. Then, we worked on fine motor skills by threading them with plastic needles. They were so excited to wear their necklaces!
This post contains affiliate link for your convenience.
Rainbow Threading Activity for Preschoolers
I love planning rainbow activities. You’ve seen how we’ve made a huge color wheel, and how we made rainbows with dyed rope. So, by the time we make our rainbow necklaces, our preschoolers have a pretty good idea of what colors they will be using.
What you will need for this rainbow necklace activity:
- Any kind of pasta that you can thread
- A plastic needle
- Food coloring to dye the macaroni (we love Wilton’s icing gels)
Preparing this activity:
- Dye your macaroni the colors of the rainbow. I use the same method for macaroni as when we dyed our rice for our sunflower sensory bin.
- Cut the yarn so that it will fit around a preschooler’s neck. (You can be generous and then cut the yarn later if it’s too large.)
- Tie the yarn to the plastic needle and place the dyed macaroni in separate containers.
Making these rainbow necklaces:
Show your children how to hold the needle (attached to the yarn) with their “worker hand” (dominant hand). Then, with their “helper hand” (non-dominant hand), slip the macaroni through the needle and thread. (Note: You can take one of the macaroni pieces and tie it on the end of the yarn so the other macaroni pieces don’t slide off the yarn. Then, when the necklace is finished, untie that piece and let it join the others.)
When the threading is completed:
Remove the plastic needle and connect the necklace by tying it.
More ideas your preschoolers will like:
Are you getting my weekly newsletters? They are delivered right to your e-mail!
Sign up here.