Inside: These 15+ activities are great for teaching circles to preschoolers. Great for young toddlers who are just beginning to learn shapes!
Throughout the school year, we focus on different shapes with our little ones.
At the beginning of the year, our toddlers are still very young, so we like to keep things simple.
That’s why we start off with the circle as our first shape.
Circles are pretty easy for preschoolers to identify- they do not have to count any sides to know which shape it is.
And of course, the best way for them to remember the shape is by working with them hands-on to begin to recognize circles in their daily lives.
These 15+ easy circle activities help your toddlers and preschoolers learn how to recognize and create the shape of a circle.
👉 Scroll down to find free circles packet printable you can use with your toddlers and preschoolers!
15+ Activities for Teaching Circles to Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Toddler Circle Art with Paper Tubes – Fun process art activity for stamping circles onto paper.
- Spool Stamping – Recycle empty thread spools for stamping circles. Lots of action!
- Circle Hunt – Add some large motor while inviting your toddlers to find hidden felt circles.
- Color Matching Circles – Have toddlers fill in colorful circles with watercolors or markers to practice making the shape of a circle. (Playing House in Maryland)
- Circle Suncatcher – Press circle shapes made of tissue paper onto a larger circle shape of clingwrap for a suncatcher full of circles. (Our Crafts N Things)
- Easter Egg Circles – Stamp colorful circles onto the paper using the edges of easter eggs. (Buggy and Buddy)
- Cereal Circles – Trace the shape of the circle using round cereal such as cheerios or fruit loops. (Everyday Chaos and Calm)
- Trace and Color – Free coloring page for tracing and coloring in the circles. (Kidzone)
- Circle Themed Sensory Bin – Create a sensory bin with all round items, such as cotton balls and buttons. (My Life of Travels and Adventures)
- Q-Tip Painting – Free printable sheet for preschoolers to practice dotting the shape of a circle with paint and q-tips. (From ABCs to ACTs)
- I Spy Shape Hunt – Have a shape hunt to find circles around the room. (Munchkins and Moms)
- Playdough Mat Shapes – Print out these circle playdough mats for toddlers to practice making a circle with playdough. (Free Homeschool Deals)
- Learning Shapes with Cars – Create a circle car track to practice tracing the shape of a circle. (Adventures and Play)
- Car Color Match – Match the circle to the correct color of car with this printable. (Childcareland)
- Circle Treasure Basket – Create a basket of circular objects for little hands to explore. (Play Adventures)
- Velcro Block – Create a velcro block to stick and remove circles. (Memorizing the Moments)
- Circle Lacing – Use shoelaces and a circular lacing card to practice lacing around the shape of a circle. (My Life of Travels and Adventures)
When teaching circles to your toddlers and preschoolers, what activities do you like to do?
Download this FREE packet when teaching circles to your toddlers and preschoolers:
More shape activities: