Inside: 15 of the best hibernation activities for preschoolers. Includes activities, crafts, snacks, songs and books!
After we explore snow and ice, we start finding hibernation activities for preschoolers.
We learn what animals do during the winter, that bears sleep a lot in caves. We also tie this in with our day and night theme, having a pajama day.
I’ve put together this collection of hibernation activities, crafts, snacks, songs and books that you can use in your preschool classroom or homeschool.
Scroll down towards the end of this post to see a video on how we set up our classroom for our hibernation theme!
Make sure you are following our winter Pinterest board!
Hibernation Activities for Preschoolers
- Make stuffed bears and tuck them into bed for the winter.
- Turn your dramatic play area into a bear’s den.
- After making a hibernation sensory bag, manipulate the animals to find places they can hibernate. (School Time Snippets)
- Print off the free pattern to make a paper bag skunk. (I Heart Crafty Things)
- After reading “Every Autumn Comes the Bear“, make a cave from a paper plate. (Almost Unschoolers)
- Create a large cave for kids to crawl into and pretend to hibernate. (Raising Cajuns)
- Strengthen math skills while playing this bear more or less game. (Pre-K Pages)
- Invite the children to make yummy snacks that go with the hibernation theme. (Preschool Plan-It)
- Trillium Montessori shares many hibernating activities for kids. (I love their unit studies shelf!)
- After making bear caves, you can turn them into a letter recognition game. (Fantastic Fun and Learning)
- Create hibernating animal puppets using this free printable (Lovetoteach)
- Welcome to Mommyhood in Holland shares ideas for a hibernation activity shelf.
- Explore hibernation with this hedgehog hibernation basket. (The Imagination Tree)
- Download one of these bear printables for a fine motor activity. (Totally Tots)
- Sing one of these hibernation songs. (Fun 4 Kids)
What about toddlers?
Check out how we created a hibernation theme that was tailored for our youngest students: How to Teach Toddlers About Animals that Hibernate
Books for your hibernation theme:
You can see how we set up our classroom for our hibernation theme here:
More ideas for young children:
Check out our science pin board for more fun!
Planning your winter theme? We’ve done the work for you!
I am the co-author of these winter theme lesson plans.
24 preschool learning activities for your winter theme, including literacy, math, science, art, fine motor, and more! A great resource for teachers and homeschoolers.
24 preschool learning activities that cover
- Fine Motor
- Gross Motor
- Social Studies
- Circle Time
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.