Inside: These preschool winter math activities are perfect for number recognition and practicing counting skills. All are hands-on and fun!
Let’s hear it for creative math ideas!
I chose each of these winter math activities because they invite preschoolers to use their simple counting skills.
Easy and fun.
They can be added to your learning centers or be part of a small group.
Each is a perfect addition to your winter theme and will compliment the other activities going on in your home or classroom.
If you are looking for winter ideas, check out our winter lesson plan unit, which is towards the bottom of this post.
12 of the Best Preschool Math Activities for Winter
While planning your winter theme, choose any of these to build counting skills!
Note: We’ve numbered the photos to make it easier for you to match them to their link and description.
1. Put together a gingerbread counting busy bag that can be taken just about anywhere. (Wildflower Ramblings)
2. After making a hot cocoa craft, count and glue marshmallows on it. (Apples and ABC’s)
3. Download these free hot cocoa counting cards for some simple winter math fun. (The Measured Mom)
4. This counting snowballs winter math activity can be adapted for preschoolers and kindergarteners. (Fantastic Fun and Learning)
5. Children can help make the snowmen for a fun button counting game. (Mama Papa Bubba)
6. Download this free printable for a counting and color recognition activity.
7. Practice number recognition while going Olaf bowling. (A Little Pinch of Perfect)
8. Make your own finger puppets and count to 5 while reciting “5 Little Snowmen”. (Inner Child Fun)
10. Put together a winter counting sensory bin. (The Imagination Tree)
11. Practice simple counting while singing “5 Little Penguins”. (Let’s Play Music)
12. Play “count the snowballs” using snowman party cups. (Pre-K Pages)
More math ideas for young children:
Planning your winter theme? We’ve done the work for you!
I am the co-author of these winter theme lesson plans.
24 preschool learning activities for your winter theme, including literacy, math, science, art, fine motor, and more! A great resource for teachers and homeschoolers.
24 preschool learning activities that cover
- Fine Motor
- Gross Motor
- Social Studies
- Circle Time
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.