When we started our gardening theme, my co-teacher researched how to make a terrarium with kids. I had never owned a terrarium, let alone make one, so I was curious how she’d put this together for our preschoolers. She found this idea on the internet and tweaked it a bit. I was in charge of helping the children put it together, and I admit I was a bit surprised at how much they loved this activity! They were so careful with each step and were so excited to take them home for more nurturing.
How to Make a Terrarium with Kids
What you will need:
Clean wide mouth jam jars with lids (we put a call out to our preschool families for these jars)
Small plastic figurines
Cuttings from succulent plants
Setting it up:
I placed all of the materials in containers on a table.
Scoop the small pebbles into the jar.
Scoop the charcoal into the jar.
Scoop the soil into the jar.
Add 2 figurines.
Place the lid on the jar.
Bonus! Get a full week of preschool seeds theme lesson plans!
1) Foods With and Without Seeds Shared Writing Recording Sheet
2) Uppercase Alphabet Seed Packet Cards
3) Lowercase Alphabet Seed Cards
4) A to Z Seed Writing Task Cards
5) 1 to 12 Flower Pot Seed Counting Mats
6) Seeds Science Journal
7) Seed Shape Tracing Task Cards
8) Seed Sorting Mat
9) Seed Theme Beginning Sounds Sort (Seeds T, F, C)
10) Seed Sprouting Graph
Get Your Lesson Plans