Inside: It’s easy to put together preschool counting activities. I’m sharing over 20 math ideas that can easily be done in school or at home!
If you’ve been reading Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds for awhile, you know that I prefer to teach concepts in ways that get young children excited about learning.
When children arrive at our preschool at the start of the year, their counting skills are at varied levels. Some can count easily to 5, 10, 15 or even beyond. Some can even read the numbers. However, many have not developed those skills yet.
Therefore, it’s important to provide activities that can be adapted to their different abilities.
Looking for toddler counting activities? Scroll down towards the bottom of this post to find activities that are perfect for them!
20+ Preschool Counting Activities for School and Home
You might also like this post: Easy Ways to Build Math Skills at Home
Teaching simple counting can be quite easy when you provide activities such as the collection I’m sharing today. Watch your children’s excitement as you invite them to have fun with numbers!
- Count the flowers with your own personal counting book (free printable).
- Add counting mats to your play dough table for simple math fun (free printable).
- Create DIY counting sticks for counting fun.
- Learn how to count while singing 5 Little Speckled Frogs, from Let’s Play Music.
- Create a button mural on your wall, from No Time for Flash Cards.
- Add some color recognition to a counting activity using play dough.
- Download the free printable for a fun frog counting activity.
- Put the puzzle pieces together to make a butterfly (free printable).
- Make your own counting cards to use with simple games.
- Count with seeds, from Teach Preschool.
- Print out these dump truck number mats for some block counting, from The Measured Mom.
- Count buttons after reading this Pete the Cat book, from Frogs, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails.
- Use foam numbers while counting out food in a recipe.
- Count and measure using Legos, from The Imagination Tree.
- Use different sizes and colors of tubes with pom poms, from Laughing Kids Learn.
- Make number bubbles on a mirror, from Mama, Papa, Bubba.
- Have a “beary” good time counting, from Toddler Approved.
- Count the legs using a number line while making cute ladybugs.
- Use pom poms to count while reading Ten Black Dots, from 3 Dinosaurs.
- Sort and count apples on the light table, from And Next Comes L.
- Make your own indoor hopscotch game with cardboard, from Happy Hooligans.
- Make number learning fun with this parking lot game, featured on B-Inspired Mama.
- Count the seeds in the watermelon, from Playdough to Plato.
- Read one of these counting books, from Buggy and Buddy.
- Go on a counting walk, from Creative Family Fun.
- Make a counting maze with chalk, from Hands On As We Grow.
More fun activities:
Make sure to check out more ideas on my math pin board!
FREE CIRCLE TIME PLANNER!
Get your FREE circle time planner as a gift when you subscribe to my free weekly newsletters.