This easy caterpillar craft for preschoolers is a classic. You probably made them as a kid! All you need are some recycled egg cartons and a few other items for details.
It’s that easy.
We create our caterpillars before making our big butterflies, while we are learning about the butterfly life cycle in our science center.
Easy Caterpillar Craft for Preschoolers
What you will need for this activity:
Live butterfly culture (if you want to show your children the life cycle)
Recycled egg cartons
The first part of this activity:
I cut the egg cartons so that each child got 3 sections. Then, they painted them.
The second part of this activity:
Once they are dry, use scissors to poke 2 holes at the front of the egg carton. The children will then push the pipe cleaner through one end and out the other, so that both ends are sticking out of the top. We twist them a bit. Then, glue the eyes on.
Get a Full Week of Butterfly Theme Learning and Play
Save time and get right to the playful learning with these printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and there are different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
2) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
3) Caterpillar Uppercase Alphabet Cards
4) Butterfly Lowercase Alphabet Cards
5) Butterfly Life Cycle Cards
6) Butterfly Symmetry Matching Cards
7) Butterfly Life Cycle Word Building Mats
8) Caterpillar Measurement Recording Sheet
9) Caterpillar Patterning Activity
10) Caterpillar Syllable Sort
11) Caterpillar Egg Leaf Counting Mats (Numbers 1-10)
Get Your Lesson Plans
More activities for preschoolers: