After we explore snow and ice, we start finding hibernation activities for preschoolers. We learn what animals do during the winter, that bears sleep a lot in caves. We also tie this in with our day and night theme, having a pajama day. I’ve put together this collection of hibernation activities, crafts, snacks, songs and books that you can use in your preschool classroom or homeschool.
Make sure you are following our winter Pinterest board!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.
Hibernation Activities for Preschoolers
- Make stuffed bears and tuck them into bed for the winter.
- Turn your dramatic play area into a bear’s den.
- After making a hibernation sensory bag, manipulate the animals to find places they can hibernate. (School Time Snippets)
- Print off the free pattern to make a paper bag skunk. (I Heart Crafty Things)
- After reading “Every Autumn Comes the Bear“, make a cave from a paper plate. (Almost Unschoolers)
- Create a large cave for kids to crawl into and pretend to hibernate. (Raising Cajuns)
- Strengthen math skills while playing this bear more or less game. (Pre-K Pages)
- Invite the children to make yummy snacks that go with the hibernation theme. (Preschool Plan-It)
- Trillium Montessori shares many hibernating activities for kids. (I love their unit studies shelf!)
- After making bear caves, you can turn them into a letter recognition game. (Fantastic Fun and Learning)
- Learn about how bats hibernate and then download this printable for a fun craft. (Learn~Create~Love)
- Welcome to Mommyhood in Holland shares ideas for a hibernation activity shelf.
- Explore hibernation with this hedgehog hibernation basket. (The Imagination Tree)
- Download one of these bear printables for a fine motor activity. (Totally Tots)
- Sing one of these hibernation songs. (Fun 4 Kids)
Books for your hibernation theme:
More ideas for young children:
Check out our science pin board for more fun!
From our store:
This Winter Science Activities packet is filled with 10 hands-on learning activities that are sure to capture the interest of your little learner. Teach little learners about states of matter, density, chemistry and more with really fun experiments. All the activities come with detailed instructions, material lists, and some experiments include printables. For only $3.00 you can buy it now.