Our butterfly theme is packed with fun activities at preschool. We order our caterpillars and they arrive after spring break. We read books about how caterpillars turn into butterflies, we explore the butterfly life cycle on our science shelf, and we make butterfly art! For this particular art activity, we wanted to add lots of fine motor opportunities. We included painting, squeezing, twisting, and threading! It took several days, but our preschoolers loved every step.
What you will need:
- Wooden dowels
- Commercial-sized coffee filters
- Pipe Cleaners (Chenille Stems)
- Liquid Watercolors
- Pony Beads
- Tempera paint for the dowels
First, paint the dowels.
Paint the wooden dowels with tempera paint and let them dry.
Then, paint the coffee filters.
Dilute your liquid watercolors with water and brush them onto the coffee filters.
Assemble the butterflies.
Once the coffee filters are dry, scrunch the centers and loop a pipe cleaner around it and attach to the painted dowel. Twist another pipe cleaner around the top of the dowel.
Provide a container of pony beads and invite the children to thread them onto the pipe cleaners at the top of the dowels. These will be the antennae.
Butterfly materials to go with this theme:
Get a Full Week of Butterfly Theme Learning and Play
Save time and get right to the playful learning with these printable lesson plan sets. Each set includes over 30 playful learning activities related to the theme, and there are different versions for home preschool families and classroom teachers so all activities are geared directly toward your needs.
This set includes active hands-on learning ideas and the following printables:
1) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
2) Butterfly Life Cycle Roll and Graph Game
3) Caterpillar Uppercase Alphabet Cards
4) Butterfly Lowercase Alphabet Cards
5) Butterfly Life Cycle Cards
6) Butterfly Symmetry Matching Cards
7) Butterfly Life Cycle Word Building Mats
8) Caterpillar Measurement Recording Sheet
9) Caterpillar Patterning Activity
10) Caterpillar Syllable Sort
11) Caterpillar Egg Leaf Counting Mats (Numbers 1-10)
Get Your Lesson Plans
More ideas for young children:
Are you getting my weekly newsletters? They are delivered right to your e-mail!
Sign up here.